Portfolio managers, members of the portfolio management office and senior members of management involved in the portfolio decision making processes. For consultants who have worked in the area of project portfolio management who wish to increase their understanding of the PMI standards for portfolio management as well as gaining insight into the latest academic research including topics such as project, program and portfolio success factors, portfolio management leadership skills and competencies in terms of Emotional Quotient (EQ), Intelligence Quotient (IQ), Management Quotient (MQ) and Technical Quotient (TQ), governance paradigms and the impact on portfolio goals, top issues associated with portfolio management, cognitive dissonance and winners curse and their combined risks to the portfolio management goals plus more.
Portfolio Management Professional
Who Should Attend
What Participants Will Learn
- o Understand how to set up and run a successful portfolio against organizationally aligned objectives through instructor based learning, case study and workgroup sessions referencing PMI’s Standard for Portfolio Management V3 and other reference material
- o How to prepare for PMI’s PfMP exam with sample exam questions and detailed explanations of the answers
- o Gain the latest research in portfolio management which will help to meet your portfolio goals
Personal and Business Benefits
- o A deeper understanding of the hard and soft factors relating to portfolio management
- o Prepare for the certification for PfMP and be part of a small elite club of portfolio managers (less 500 worldwide)
- o The confidence of understanding how best to set up and run and maintain successful portfolios
- o Meet year-on-year portfolio goals and objectives
- o The confidence of business success through the selection and execution of portfolio components
- o Take yourself to the next level of understanding and be seen as a mentor and leader in the field of programs and projects
- o Insights in how to business a new framework to understand who are your stars and gatekeepers within your portfolio and the value they create
- o How to be proactive, understand the warning signs and no always working in a reactive mode
- o Personal coaching if requested to improve management skills and presentation
Instructor-led, group discussion, case study, group exercises, individual exercises, quizzes, role plan, and coaching.
Day 1 and 2
- o Introduction
- o Portfolio Management Overview and Organization
- o Portfolio management process groups
- o Portfolio Strategic Management
- o Portfolio Governance
- o Portfolio Performance Management
- Portfolio Communications Plan
- o Portfolio Risk Management
- o Code of Ethics & Professional Responsibility
- o Flash Performance Domains/Knowledge Areas (supporting processes)
- o Exam practice and review
- o Latest in portfolio management research
- o Questions and close
Detailed CASE Study (including role play)
This detailed and practical case study allows the participants to enact out establishing a portfolio and the steps to bring in projects and programs into the portfolio whilst going through the selection and prioritization process.
The participants work in teams during to the day and follow a structure that models the types of decisions and hence questions of the PfMP exam. During the case study, the teams will produce key portfolio document deliverables (artifacts) and manage the types of internal and external influences on a program. The case study builds on the knowledge gained from the course and is run as an integral part of the course. Many participants of this course (and other courses who have used similar case studies from the same instructor) have especially noted the value and fun in being part of real-life case studies but more importantly the value it provides back in the office as reference material to their day job.
Note to Attendees
Attendees need to bring a laptop with Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint, and Word. Day 3 and 4 require extensive use of a laptop including printing (where the printer is provided by the hotel).
We currently run this course only as an in-house solution.