Riyadh / 07 July 2019
Professional Development Advisor
Mobile: +41 44 586 5934
Certified IPMO-PLPs have demonstrated, through a combination of formal training and competency assessment, that they have an in-depth understanding of national and/or international project leadership/management principles and practices including how to identify, select, initiate, plan, execute and close a project including all aspects of monitoring and controlling to achieve successful project management and project outcomes.
The course is a mixture of instructor lead and participative where the participants carry out exercises as part of a detailed five-day case study, work in a team based case study that utilizes role play and personal coaching which gives them the opportunity to apply the theory blocks and really reinforces learning. Our intensive programme is for candidates wishing to build on their knowledge of project management but with a leadership focus which will help to understand the differences of how project management is done typically within their organization today versus the IPMO-PLP project leadership approach. Discussions are encouraged during the seminar so participants can explore and access knowledge of running national and international projects how these project fits into programs and portfolios management which helps in contextual understanding for preparing themselves for the IPMO-PLP® exam. This programme is built on aspects of the knowledge areas of PMI’s PMBOK® 6th edition, with references to current and upcoming versions of the Standard for Program Management and the Standard for Portfolio Management. The underlying competencies in this seminar are based on IPMA’s competency framework 4.0, plus research findings from top international professors in project management giving the IPMO-PLP course attendees a truly unique foundation for driving and leading successful national and international projects.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND
- Project leaders, PMO Managers and Project managers wishing to formalize and extend their existing knowledge from a project competency perspective whilst building on best international practices based on principles, practices, knowledge areas and processes
- Any senior project stakeholder moving into an international environment wishing to understand the challenges around achieving successful international projects and programs
- Senior managers/directors who would like to develop their strategic skills for the selection and successful management of projects
- Team leaders, consultants, working in an international project environment that would like to broaden their understanding of the different perspectives of project management including theories/eponymous laws such as agency theory, stewardship theory, Parkinson’s law, and student syndrome and how these impact project success
- Team members looking to develop their awareness of international project management and how they can best support their project managers
- Sponsors of projects, who would like to learn more about how international projects are managed as well as many tips on their role and how to be an excellent and supportive sponsor
- Understand the structure and approach of successful national and international project leadership
- Understand and have confidence in how to set up a PMI compliant complex national and international project through real-life case study and examples
- Gain a broader perspective by understanding how projects fit into portfolios and programs perspectives – the famous eagle view
- Gain tips and tricks from an internationally experienced project, program and portfolio manager/trainer/consultant
- Knowledge of how to plan your career in the senior international project leadership arena
- Understand theories, eponymous laws, and the most used tools & techniques that impact and therefore help or hinder in achieving project success.
- Understand what is being researched in the field of project leadership and the findings that can help you in your position
The training approach includes:
- Team exercises
- Group discussions on pertinent topics
- Detailed five-day Simulation Case Study
- Presentations and role play
- Personal coaching (if time allows)
- Exam – 2 hours with 100 multiple choice questions
- Discussing the exam answers
- Module 1: (Inter)national Stakeholder Management
- Module 2: Projects, Programs and Portfolio Management in the (Inter)national Arena
- Module 3: (Inter)national Strategy, Project and Program Selection
- Module 4: The Senior (Inter)national Project Leader
- Module 5: Initiating and Leading (Inter)national Programs and Projects
- Module 6: Project Scope using the Work Breakdown Structure
- Module 7: Producing Integrated Project Schedules
- Module 8: Estimating and Budgeting Time and Cost
- Module 9: Planning and Managing Quality
- Module 10: Organizing and Leading the (inter)national project team
- Module 11: Communications and presentation skills for the (Inter)national project Leader
- Module 12: Integrated view of Risk Management
- Module 13: Procurement Management
- Module 14: Monitor and Controlling (Inter)national Projects
- Module 15: Conflict Management
- Module 16: Decision Making
- Module 17: (Inter)national Project Termination and Project Closeout
- Module 18: Eponymous laws, theories, and the latest on project management research
James started his career in industry, gaining international and domestic experience in the sales and marketing function, before entering management consulting, where he worked on managing the change arising from ERP implementations, data warehouse constructions, website creation, and similar large scale programs, for global organizations.
He has also facilitated learning seminars since 2002, both open enrolment and in a company, gaining experience in over 35 countries on four continents, across a wide range of industry sectors, including the private sector, NGO and the public sector.
His background allows James to mix a highly practical, yet rigorous approach to management development and he is known for a relaxed and friendly style.
James holds a Master of Science degree in Consulting, the prestigious IPMO-E certification and has been PMP® certified since 2003.